As the economy gets tougher and people get desperate for jobs, they push the boundaries and test every available avenue for jobs. This is what has led to the start of social media recruitment but many are using this feature wrongly and not getting any feedback.
So what are the right ways to get a job or a prospective contact that can lead to employment through social media?
I work with Public relations company and coordinate the management of some corporate social media accounts. Most of what would be shared are practical and the things we experience on a daily routine.
- Never send personal messages on social media. We get people who greet on social media on a personal tone, with the intent to win the interest of the social media operatives but this is what they miss. Social media managers forward your message to a social media analyst that categories messages according to their request and forwards it to the relevant department. So your persuasion and begging would not move anyone.
- Sending your pictures and cellphone numbers is wrong. Qualifications and experience will win the job. We live in a society that has swapped intellect for beauty but unfortunately, that is not the case in the corporate world. The social media manager immediately bans or blocks such users making your chances slimmer.
- No need to discuss your personal problems. Telling a social media manager you have no rent, you have no money or haven’t eaten for days is a bad pitch and would reduce your chances further. Do not do it.
- Do not demand jobs. Companies do not manufacture jobs they only request workers when a position becomes vacant or they generally just keep a curriculum vitae (CV) bank that can be accessed when a position becomes vacant.
- Keep a clean social media profile. Remember your profiles are linked to your communications, so recruiters tend to do an introspection check to shortlist and this has always turned out terrible for most candidates. There are candidates with good CV and pitch but their wall depicts a totally different character. Do not compromise your chances by keeping a terrifying profile.
These are some of the issues identified on a beginner level and for entry and middle management positions. So how should it be done, so more people can get the job.
- Go straight to the point. When you communicate on a company or profile of any public institution remember you are not dealing with the recruiter or business owner but someone employed to do a task and personal interactions would not score you a job. Just ask your questions and wait for answers.
Good day, Admin,
I am seeking employment opportunities and would like to check the process for submitting my CV, to your HR department for recruitment openings.
- Get a good introduction and CV together. For those trying their luck with possible openings that are not published. Get a good introduction and Curriculum vitae together. The introduction must be a summary of yourself, educational, skills background, and qualities you pose. I would make a template available and a sample introduction letter that can be used.
My names are (Name Here), a graduate of (institution name) and currently seeking employment. I have been working as a (profession) for the past (number of years).
I have attached my resume for your review. If there is any position that fits my skills set now or in the future. You can contact me via email (email address) or phone (phone number). I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.
(Your names here)
- Send links to your reference company pages. The best references you can give in your introduction or pitch emails are actual page links to reference companies. This area preferable ways to score points with the recruiter and create a credible source.
- Keep a clean and decent public profile. Manage your profile setting on your profiles and keep messages to your circle of friends only. Filter what is made public as this is easily part of what recruiters use to access character and thoughts. To do this, check the privacy settings of your social accounts and set it to friends and contacts. You have the option to make some public.
In case of further resources and references, you can do more searches on improving your chances of employment online.
You can send me a mail on a full consultancy if you need more info